7 Secrets about Aloe Vera
As a fair-skinned, blue-eyed girl, I’ve had my fair share of sunburns over time. I often joke that I burn just walking by a picture of the sun. So it was not long before I was familiar with the gel of the Aloe Vera plant as a way to sooth my burns. It’s a miracle worker, no doubt! Nature didn’t stop there - Aloe Vera has beneficial properties far beyond merely treating sunburn, which is why we’ve included it in four of our skin care products (Anti-aging Eye Serum, Blueberry Mask, Detoxifying Cleanser, and Hydrating Moisturizer!). Below are some of my favorite things about Aloe Vera, but first, let’s learn some things about this magical little plant.
Aloe Barbandensis (Aloe Vera) is one of over 500 species in the Aloe genus. It’s a cactus plant belonging to the Liliacaea family, and has been used medicinally for centuries in the dry climates in which it grows. The Egyptians even referred to it as the “plant of immortality” (Sign me up!). When the leaves are broken off from the rest of the plant, they secrete a clear gel which can be applied directly to the skin to heal burns or other wounds. We’ve learned a lot about what else this plant can do since ancient Egyptian times. Here are 7 reasons you want to include Aloe Vera in your skin care routine:
1. Deep Penetration – Aloe Vera can seep right through multiple layers of skin, hydrating and moisturizing the cells, keeping the skin soft and supple, and eliminating dry, patchy areas.
2. Healing – A common treatment in Ayurvedic medicine, Aloe Vera is beneficial for treating chronic skin disorders like psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema, and skin allergies. As we know, it helps to soothe red, irritated skin, and it’s also said to protect tissues from frostbite damage by increasing blood flow to those affected areas.
3. Revitalization – Not only does Aloe Vera eliminate dead skin cells, it also contains Gibrellin which acts as a growth hormone to stimulate the production of new cells, keeping your skin young and healthy.
4. Anti-Aging – In addition to its ability to stimulate new cell growth, Aloe Vera also has the capacity to stimulate the production of collagen and elastins, slowing the aging process and reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
5. Balancing – Aloe Very is chock full of anti-oxidants like Vitamins C & E and beta carotene, which can enhance the skin’s natural firmness. It also helps to balance out the skin’s tone, shrink large pores, and restore an even texture.
6. Anti-Acne – The astringent properties of Aloe Vera reduces the overall oil production on the face by limiting excessive production in the sebaceous glands. It’s anti-inflammatory and protects the skin against harmful bacteria, helping to prevent pimples and acne breakouts.
7. Reverses Damage – Because Aloe Vera stimulates new cell growth and help in healing wounds, it also helps treat acne lesions, scars and those dreaded dark spots that may already be on your skin.
Aloe vera is yet another reason why you can have natural skincare with organic ingredients that is highly effective. Nature is where the good stuff comes from! Check out some of the fantastic skincare solutions that use aloe vera and more great natural and organic ingredients here. Namaste!